Houses with Historic Markers
All information is according to current available evidence.
39 Central Street
This house was built for William Hooper Jr., mariner, in 1805. For many years it was the homestead of Col. Ebenezer Tappan Jr. (cabinet maker, machinist, militia leader, town official) and family.
12 Bridge Street
This house was built for Frederick Merrill, expressman, and wife, Mary Sayre, in 1896. The architect was Cornelius A. Russell of Roxbury.
13 School Street
This house was built for Capt. Daniel Leach, shipmaster, in 1786, and was enlarged with a new ell at an early point, but exactly when is not known. Perhaps the addition was made by the second owner, Capt. William Allen, who bought the property in 1793 and sold it to Capt. Abial Burgess.
67 School Street
This house was built for James McCartney, mariner, c. 1795. It was later the longtime homestead of the Morgan family, and then of the Kellehers. It stands on the site of a house built for Josiah Allen, fisherman, c. 1735.
78 School Street
This house was built for Ezekiel Knowlton, cordwainer and mariner, and his wife, Amy Foster, c. 1725 by Samuel Lee Jr., housewright.
96 School Street
This house was built for Mrs. Amy (Knowlton) Leach c. 1760 as a residence for her family. She was a widow, and probably worked as a “doctoress,” or physician.
4 Sumac Lane
This house was built for Abraham Rowe, cabinet maker, and wife, Olive Goldsmith, in 1846 as their family residence. It is Greek Revival in style.
44 Harbor Street
This house was built c. 1771 for Capt. Andrew Marsters, shoreman. It may contain elements of an earlier house, built c. 1725 for Nathaniel Marsters, shoreman. It was later the home of Capt. William Tuck (1740-1826), shipmaster, Revolutionary War privateer, Collector of Customs and merchant.